Friday, January 4, 2013

The flu has arrived...but, she still smiles.

The flu has come to visit Savannah in a BIG way!  New Year's Eve, she came down with a mild fever. We took her to the doctor New Year's day (Urgent care, because regular pediatrician was closed New Year's day).  Well, because Savannah's fever started out mild...around 99 degrees the first twelve hours of onset, the doctor said it could not be the flu.  She tested for strep...negative.  So the doctor chalked it up to it being an upper respiratory infection, prescribed an antibiotic, and sent us on our way.  Well, Savannah's fever shot up to 103 degrees after another twelve hours past.  It stayed between 102-103 degrees the next two days.  So, we visited the regular pediatrician yesterday.  She tested for flu, and (you guessed it) she was positive.  Antibiotics do not help the flu and we were now past the first 48 hour mark for prescribing Tamiflu.

I have a question for other parents who have children with juvenile arthritis and whose children are on medicines that suppress the immune system...

Do you get the flu shot for your child each year?

I have mixed feelings on the flu shot.  In Savannah's case, she has type 2 of the flu, and the shot was for type 1 this year...so, it may not have even helped. Still, God is good, all the time.

Even with the horrible flu, Savannah still smiles.

6 comments:

  1. I hope she feels better soon. I am so sorry she's been sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this post is from 2 years ago (almost 3!) but I just discovered your blog and have been reading backwards. :) We just came from my son's ped rheumatologist appointment today, and she reminded me to get Henry the flu shot. He can't get the flu mist, which is a live vaccine, she said, but she definitely recommended the flu shot for him, as he's immunocompromised with all the meds he's on. I don't know what you decided to do for the winters that followed this one in 2013, but there's my 2 cents (or rather, our doctor's 2 cents). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most years, we are getting the flu shot...the shot kind, not the flu mist kind.
      -Jenny

      Delete
  3. I wish the kids could get the mist - I mean, they get enough shots and pokes otherwise... and there's a mist available! Sigh. But I'm glad it exists, and hopefully we all avoid the gunk this winter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To my understanding from Savannah's rheumatologist, the mist contains the live strain of the flu...which can be to much for a compromised immune system like the kids with JA on meds.

      Delete
  4. Yeah - that's what they told me, too. But it's one more stick... :(

    ReplyDelete